Departments - City of Valparaiso

Garbage and Trash

Back to Departments

Solid Waste

Solid WasteThe City of Valparaiso offers all residents and businesses premium solid waste services. We do ask for some assistance to help us to continue operating efficiently, please take into consideration the following:

  • All cans must be no larger than 32 gallons in size.
  • Please put your can in the same location each day.
  • Please bag all trash; this prevents garbage from being scattered.
  • Please place broken glass in taped, cardboard box before disposal in your trash.
  • For the safety and welfare of our employees, medical waste must be placed in a sealed container before being put in the garbage.
  • Please do not place items for pickup on vacant or privately owned lots.
Household Garbage

Generally defined as kitchen waste: anything used in the preparation of food, including but not limited to, foods, food containers and non-recyclable wrappers.

Residential customers are asked to place garbage cans on the street curb or on the side or rear of the residence by 6am day of scheduled pick up.

City employees are prohibited from entering closed areas.

Residential pickup is twice weekly, Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday.

Commercial pickup is three times weekly, Monday/Wednesday/Friday.

Schools are serviced daily.

Schedules are adjusted for holidays.

If your address falls within the BLUE area your pickup days are Tuesday and Friday.

If your address falls within the RED area your pickup days are Monday and Thursday.

Residential yard debris pickup is once a week for leaves and limbs only. Scheduled days are adjusted for holidays.

Areas are designated according to color and indicate yard debris pickup day on the map below:

  • Blue area is Monday
  • Orange area is Tuesday
  • Purple area is Wednesday
  • Green area is Thursday

Divided into two categories:

  1. Old furniture, miscellaneous household items, boxes/cardboard and other items too large to fit into a 32 gallon trash can. This type of trash is collected normally once a week and must be place in front of the residence, curbside, not in the street on your scheduled garbage day or Wednesday.
  2. Yard foliage, grass cuttings, tree limbs (four (4) inches in diameter and smaller) and hedge clippings.

Yard debris pickup is designed to be a service to residents for routine maintenance of your yard. By ordinance it is the responsibility of the homeowner or contractor to remove debris from contracted services or lot clearing. Contractors are not permitted to utilize residential City services as a means of removal for commercial work performed at any location within or outside of the City of Valparaiso. City crews are not permitted to remove debris generated in either of these circumstances.

It is important to keep yard debris separate from other trash. The City uses specialized equipment to pickup and process your yard debris. There can be no foreign material mixed in with the yard debris. Objects such as furniture, garden hoses, etc. can damage equipment and should not be placed in yard debris piles.

All construction and remodeling debris must be removed by the owner or contractor per City ordinance. City crews are not permitted under any circumstances to remove construction debris.

Hazardous Waste

Hazardous WasteHousehold hazardous waste collection, recycling and treatment program is sponsored by the Okaloosa County Board Commissioners.  Okaloosa County accepts a variety of household hazardous wastes free of charge to residents.  FREE drop-off for local residents by appointment every Thursday afternoon from 1-3 pm and every third Saturday from 7-11 am; call (850) 651-7394 or (850) 689-5772 for an appointment.

84 Ready Avenue
Ft. Walton Beach, FL 32548

Here’s what we do with hazardous waste we collect from Okaloosa County households:

Car Batteries

Used batteries are sold to a battery warehouse where both lead and plastic batteries are reclaimed.

Rechargeable Batteries

We can help you recycle your portable rechargeable batteries as part of the Okaloosa County’s hazardous waste program. These batteries are commonly found in cordless power tools, cellular and cordless phones, laptop computers, camcorders, digital cameras, and remote control toys. RBRC recycles the following battery chemistries: Nickel Cadmium (Ni-Cd), Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH), Lithium Ion (Li-ion) and Small Sealed Lead* (Pb). For more information on battery recycling log-on to

Computer Components

Computer equipment, particularly, old monitors have been declared a hazardous waste by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. EPA’s “Plug-In To eCycling”

Mobile Phone Recycling

Mobile phones are donated to the local Shelter House for reuse of usable phones or for recycling of phones that are not serviceable.

Fluorescent Tubes

Fluorescents tubes and other mercury containing devices are accepted in an effort to minimize mercury contamination to the environment. These materials are recycled and or reclaimed through state of the art technology. more information

Latex Paint

We try to give away as much good paint as possible. Others can use it even after it’s been opened. The rest of the latex paint is stored in 55 gallon drums and then mixed with concrete to make parking slabs and driveways. This is an experimental project that was designed and developed by the Okaloosa County Recycling Office.

Oil Based Paint

This type of paint is a little more complex and needs some special handling. It is poured into 55 gallon drums and sent to a company that blends the flammable oil-based paint with other liquid fuels. Then it is disposed of by burning in specially designed boilers.

Pool Chemicals and Pesticides

Again we take special precautions with these chemicals. We pack them in 55 gallon drums in their original containers and fill the air spaces with styrofoam balls. These “lab-paks” are sent to special hazardous waste incinerators for disposal. Many of the chemicals are given away. Muriatic acid is neutralized on site and sent to the county’s Water and Sewer Treatment Plant.

Used Oil, Fuel and Antifreeze

Old oil, gas and diesel are also burned as a secondary fuel in specially designed boilers. Old antifreeze is neutralized through a special process and sent to a wastewater treatment facility.

Household Hazardous Wastes are accepted weekly free of charge for local residents, by appointment only. Please call one of the numbers listed above for an appointment time.

Hazardous wastes accepted from Okaloosa County households

An alternative drop-off point for tires and household hazardous waste also exists at the City of Valparaiso Public Works Field Office which is located at 600 Valastics Avenue or you may take your HAZ-MAT items to the County’s central collection point at South County Road Department located at 84 Ready Ave., Fort Walton Beach.